This is the first thing I saw when I opened up my google reader today – I LOVE IT!!!! Not sure where “Sasha” got it but it’s hilarious and unfortunately true for me.
So some of my New Years Resolutions are as follows, I’ll probably think of more:
- visit my Grandmother more, she lives in the same town and I only see her on holidays because some of my family can’t get along – that is not my problem – I get along with them just fine and should not be influenced by their bickering.
- drink less, I can’t say that I’ve ever really had heart burn but after the 2 bottles of wine I put away on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I think I may have experienced it – not cool… so for that and other reason (one being MZ “teasing” me about being an alky) I’m going to drink less. My first step is that NO I do not need a glass of wine while getting ready to go out and henceforth drink more…
- on the flip side I would like to somehow find a better appreciation for “real” wine… I love me some cheap sweet wine – such as Moscato. I would like to be better educated if nothing else – I hate being at dinner and not knowing what kind of wine to order and not just the rule of what goes with what, because I honestly think one should drink what they like not what is “etiquette appropriate” but I don’t really even know what’s out there and what means what….
- Read more – at least read one book more than what I’m supposed to read for book club.
- Become a better conversationalist – I’m just no good at asking questions of others – yes I know I’m a brat. But sometimes I really feel like people only ask “how are you” or “how was your weekend” because they feel like they should – most of the time they don’t care and I hate just saying “good” just to provide an answer and then starts the back and forth – most of the time I really don’t care to share or care to hear, so now you’ll know if I ask you a question – I genuinely mean it, I do really want to know… hey it makes sense in my head.
- Run more
So that’s some of my resolutions – I think they are achievable.
I am with you on all of these, especially the conversation one. I am the absolute worst about small-talk. I just don’t care! I’d rather sit in silence than force myself to talk to someone that I don’t know or will never see again. But I need to get better at that, I know it makes me look like (like you said) a brat.
Sounds like a good plan and make sure you visit your grandmother more. We lost mine this past spring and I miss her a lot.
This post is exactly my thoughts… I’m also wanting to up the ante when it comes to my wine knowledge. I was looking for some local retailers (I like to keep it local as much as possible) and found some great (free!) events at independent retailers here in Raleigh, NC (let me know if you’re ever in the area and would like the list) and I also found snooth.com, which I haven’t used toooo much yet, but think it might be a good online utility for what you’re talking about.
I can tell you a bit about wine if you’d like to know. Prepare to be dazzled! 😉
If you like sweet wine (yuck!), your tastes will start to refine to drier and drier wines. I think you should start with a medium white wine like Sauvignon Blanc. Eventually you will go to Pinot Grigio, but always have a taste first because sometimes these are too sweet(the best standby wine, I think!), otherwise Chardonnay which is almost always full bodied.
The last step is red wine when you have really developed a taste for medium white and are ready for “heavy” wine. I get full off of red wine. I like simple Merlots or Cab Sauv.
Simple rule of thumb:
red meat, lamb, duck = red wine
fish, pork, chicken = white
But what do I know? I don’t drink. 😉
Yep, you caught me. I backdate some of my blog entries. I usually start them, get busy and then have to come back later to finish them. Sometimes it is days or even a week later. Christmas, birthday, etc. has me WAY behind so there will be more “appearing” soon.
BTW, I am very envious of your iPhone. I thought having an LGView would be close enough for me, but it isn’t. 🙂